Wednesday 7 December 2011

Making clock hands for Mall Gallery Open Exhibition

I think that for a quality clock, the hands of the clock make the clock.  For some of my clocks I use standard off the shelf clock hands, but there are times when they don't quite for it for me - so I make my own, using traditional techniques of fret sawing from hard brass sheet, then fettling and polishing.  The background to this blog shows clock hands I have made myself.

The ones I have started making today are for an Arty clock entry into the Royal Society of British Artists Open Exhibition at the Mall Galleries, which I hope to be completing within the next week, ready for entry.

I wanted a subtle diamond shape on them - nothing too much - but something - which I feel I have achieved.  The photo below shows the hands in process of being made - they need polishing and rounding off, and the collets fitting so they fit to the mechanism, but they do fit the case I have made for them, much better than what I could buy off the shelf.



And if the clock isn't accepted into the Exhibition, then it will be available for galleries to take.  Price of clock not fully decided, but in the £100s.

Do sign up to my newsletter by emailing me on handmadeclockcases@gmail.com to hear more about this clock, when I publish news stories, or follow me on Twitter on http://twitter.com/clock_cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment